Here’s a good question we always get asked: What the average age of a furnace and air conditioner; in other words how long before I have to change my units?
The answer all depends on how well you take care of your units. The average residential HVAC system should be replaced every 10-14 years (Although we’ve seen systems work for 30 plus years) Here are a few maintenance items you can perform yearly to ensure your system is running at optimum efficiency and performance:
Typical items to pay attention to
- Thermostat Settings should be regularly checked to ensure peak performance. We recommend Smart Thermostats like the Nest Learning Thermostat or the EcoBee. Save an average of up to 23% on your energy usage with a Smart Thermostat.
- Check electrical connections to ensure your motors are running efficiently and voltage currents are correct. Loose connections will result in potential hazards and your system’s life span reduced.
- Always check the condensation drain lines so there are no clogs. A plugged drain will affect your system’s cooling ability and cause potential damage. Check your drain lines every 3 months.
- Cleaning evaporator and condenser coils. Coils that are not maintained and cleaned regularly will result in poor performance and ultimately breaking and leaking. Our licensed contractors can service and tune your system bi-annually.
- Check your refrigerant levels and adjust accordingly. Systems are designed to have just the right amount of refrigerant. Too little or too much will result in inefficiency, higher energy costs, and reduced life.
- Check your furnace and all gas connections. Improper fittings are a fire hazard and have adverse health issues. be sure to have your licensed contractors regularly check and maintain your gas lines and fittings.
You will get peak performance from your system by following these simple steps to ensure peak efficiency. our team is here to serve residents in the Dallas Fort Worth area for all your home comfort needs.
Contact us below, or get in touch with us through our social media platforms.